Loving the Planet
By choosing our linen, you are not only choosing love for yourself, but love for the planet too.
After careful consideration and endless deliberation about quality, safety, supporting local enterprise and environmental trade-offs, we choose to manufacture locally, favouring linen fabrics that carry the sought after European flax ® label.
This is an internationally-recognised linen quality standard but more importantly an environmental, social and ethical responsibility standard too. While costing a little more, it certifies that fabrics are organically produced in their most natural and optimal cool growing region (France Belgium, Netherlands) and guarantees regulation to environmental standards including:
- no irrigation, rain water is sufficient in this area
- a rotation crop, with no genetic modification
- low use of fertiliser and pesticide, with no chemical defolation
- natural field fibre separation process
- creates a carbon well, storing 3,7 tons of CO2 per hectare each year
- no waste – all the plant is used
- fibre extraction (scutching) is 100% mechanical rather than chemical.
Whichever quality and safety standard we choose, all linen fibres need to be imported in some format as our local terrain is too warm for linen crops to grow organically.
Once our best-quality fabric is here, we are all about keeping manufacturing local and sustainable. We are not into very large scale production, and this is what enables us to offer custom sizes in a broad range of bespoke colours, with each piece hand cut and sewn.
So while there are always environmental trade offs when moving raw material from its natural home to ours, we have made the best choices we can to deliver locally crafted products made from the best quality 100% vegetal and vegan fibre that is grown and sewn with love.